Cabinet of curiosities & Inspirations since 2009

Cabinet of curiosities & Inspirations since 2009
*I Don’t Own the Rights to These Photos*

17 nov. 2008

The great American Songbook : Someone to watch over me By George and Ira Gershwin

Ira and George Gershwin with Fred Astaire


Someone To Watch Over Me
(George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin)

There's a saying old says that love is blind
Still we're often told "seek and ye shall find"
So I'm going to seek a certain girl/lad I've had in mind
Looking everywhere, haven't found her yet
She's the big affair I cannot forget
Only girl/man I ever think of will regret

I'd like to add her/him initials to my monogram
Tell me where's the shepherd for this lost lamb

There's a somebody I'm longing to see
I hope that she/he turns out to be
Someone to watch over me

I'm a little lamb who's lost in a wood
I know I could always be good
To one who'll watch over me

Although I/he may not be the man some girls think of
As handsome to my heart
She/he carries the key

Won't you tell her/him please to put on some speed
Follow my lead, oh how I need
Someone to watch over me


Brothers Ira and George Gershwin were born in New York in 1896 and 1898.
They became the great musical team of the Jazz age - George writing the music and Ira the lyrics. 
Hits included Lady be Good, Of Thee I Sing, Funny Face, Porgy and Bess and Oh Kay! starring Gertrude Lawrence. 
Their work became hugely popular through recordings and film.
The music of George and Ira Gershwin has long been a part of the American consciousness. 
The songs -- "I Got Rhythm," "Embraceable You," "The Man I Love," "Someone to Watch Over Me," "Fascinating Rhythm," and so many others -- are instantly recognizable. 
Even the mention of the name "Gershwin" brings to mind the glamour and sophistication of the 1920s and 1930s, personified by the brothers who helped to give a musical voice to the time.




On November 8, 1926, the musical Oh Kay! opened at the Imperial Theater, and during that memorable performance Gertrude Lawrence introduced the audience to a song entitled “Someone to Watch over Me.”

Gertrude Lawrence, alone on stage and dressed in a maid’s uniform, sang “Someone to Watch over Me” to a rag doll. 

Oh Kay! would enjoy great success on Broadway, running for 256 performances before crossing the Atlantic for a London version in 1927.

Lawrence triumphed in straight plays and musicals. She was a graceful and elegant dancer. 

Although everyone agreed that she sang off-key this never bothered Cole Porter, George Gershwin, Kurt Weill or Richard Rodgers, who wrote some of their best songs for her. 

In 1968, Julie Andrews played her in the musical biopic Star! (1968).



Ella Fitzgerald recorded this song in 1950 - it's one of my favorite song.
I still enjoy to sing this song  - the lyrics are so simple and deep.
Isn't this the real definition of a popular song ......


I selected the best Ella Fitzgerald covers for the french Jazz record label (Dreyfus Jazz)
and i choose of course this song. 

Dreyfus Jazz Reference just can be bought in Europe.
Here is the Dreyfus Record Website for US and Europe.

And if you want to buy the Cds i selected  


This have been a long time now that i haven't heard a version of this Gershwin song.
I heard Martha Wainwright singing it and it's moved me so.