Cabinet of curiosities & Inspirations since 2009

Cabinet of curiosities & Inspirations since 2009
*I Don’t Own the Rights to These Photos*

1 août 2009

YOU GOT THE LOOK INTERVIEW : JOIE IACONO


Name: Joie iacono (www.joieiacono.com)

 

Nationality and were do you live ? Native new yorker

 

Job ?  Artist

 

Studies ?

 I received a Bachelor’s Degree in Photography from The School Of Visual Arts, NYC.

 

 Style icons ?

Brigtte Bardot!, Guy Bourdin photos,  Helmut Newton photos, Robert Palmer girls, 

Rozz Williams, Baroness Elsa von Freytag-Loringhoven, 

the women in John William Waterhouse paintings, 

Joan of Arc, Maya Deren, Lee Miller, The Bauhaus School, 

1970’s cigarette ads, Grace Jones.

 

 Describe your personal style:

I’d have a hard time describing it. I tend to be most comfortable in black or neutrals and I value the shapes and moods that clothing can create.  

There usually seems to be something proportionately wrong with what I’m wearing.  

My personal style is definitely a sum of all of my past fashion phases, every record, film, book and place that I’ve ever loved…

 

 Your favorite designers ?

You Might Never Find Us (www.youmightneverfindus.com)

Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci (www.givenchy.com)

Preen (www.preen.eu)

Rick Owens (www.owenscorp.com)

Lie Sang Bong (www.liesangbong.com)

Marjan Pejoski (www.marjanpejoski.com)

Reyes (www.reyescollection.com)

Costello Tagliapietra (www.costellotagliapietra.com)

Alexandre Herchcovitch (www.herchcovitch.uol.com.br)

TSE (www.tsecashmere.com)

vintage Jean Charles De Castelbajac

Ohne Titel (www.ohnetitel.com)

Bernhard Willhelm

Moss Lipow Eyewear (www.mosslipow.com)

Lascivious Lingerie (www.lascivious.co.uk)

The Lake and The Stars (www.thelakeandstars.com)

Coco De Mer (www.coco-de-mer.com)

 

Her favorite fashion magazines and blogs:

Hercules Magazine (www.herculesmag.com), 

Drama Online Magazine (www.drama-magazine.com), 

Some/Things Magazine and French Vogue

 

Joie's favorite items: 
Alexandre Herchcovitch “t-shirt” 

One Of A Kind Lie Song Bong Maxi Length Dress with Hand Knit Vest


Vintage Cashmere Sweater


Vintage 1940’s Ruffled Pencil Skirt


Mother Of Pearl Cat Necklace


Charles Jourdan Platform Heels


Limited Edition Topshop Runway heels


Jean Paul Gaultier ‘Joie’ Bag

 

Her favorite beauty products and Brands: 

I’m addicted to Patyka products (www.patyka.com). 
I also really love Duchess Marden’s Damascena Decollete Serum (www.duchessmarden.com), 
Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner, 
Touche Éclat by Yves St Laurent, Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1, 
Korres Lip Butter in “Pomegranate” color (I like to use it as a cheek stain too.),
Clarins Beauty Flash Balm,
NARS “Key Largo” eyeshadow.
 I tend to use a lot of Kiehl’s products because the store is around the corner from my house.

Joie's beauty secrets:

I like to use Distilled White Vinegar as a hair rinse - it balances the pH level and leaves hair super shiney and smooth. Also a mix of Cyprus Oil and cold pressed Olive Oil massaged into the skin to reduce puffyness in the body.

 

What is your perfum ?

’Tuberosa’ by Santa Maria Novella.

My friend, Robert Gerstner, who owns my favorite parfumacie in New York :

(Aedes - www.aedes.com), always tells me :

“The only accessory you need with a black dress is some tuberose parfum”

 

Do you love tattoo ?

 I don’t love tattoos, but I have them.

 flats or heels ?

In an ideal world - heels all the time! However, I do believe there is such a thing as shoe wearer’s etiquette. There’s nothing worse than brash high heel usage.

How long do you take to dress up?

It really varies… I can take forever… 

If you give me 1 hour to get ready it will take 1 hour (and 15 minutes)

 

Do you wear vintage ?  I do. It can really inform a look

Where do you buy it ?

I don’t really have a particular place that I go to find vintage. 

I really like finding vintage boutiques while traveling.

 

 Do you dye your hairs ?

I no longer color my hair.

 

     Joie's inspirations 


 



















Her books:

Funeral Rights by Jean Genet, A Rebours by Joris-Karl Huysmans, Nadja by Andre Breton, Confessions Of A Mask by Yukio Mishima, Magnum Cinema, Dubliners by James Joyce, Venus In Furs by Leopold Von Sacher Masoch, Les Fleurs Du Mal by Charles Baudelaire,  Silk by Baricco.

 

Her favorite Movies:

Loves Of A Blonde, Le Mepris by Jean Luc Godard, …And God Created Woman by Roger Vadim, Un Chant D’Amour by Jean Genet, Crazy Love (www.crazylovefilm.com), La Vie En Rose, Maya Deren films, Kenneth Anger films, Beautiful Creatures, Blood Of The Poet by Jean Cocteau, Love is the Devil.



Do you follow the fashion trends ?

I definitely create my own mental trends that I follow. As for following mainstream fashion trends… I’m not sure… I like to let fashion trends inform my look in order to keep my style “modern”

 Do you think that fashion is too expensive ?

Fashion has never been known for its inclusivity.  It’s hard to say if it’s “too expensive”… because some fashion definitely exists in it’s own high art realm.  

While fashion can be exclusively priced at times,  I am a firm believer that being fashionable can be very attainable.  Sometime’s it is truly worth splurging on an item that you’ll get endless use out of.



Do you use organics products ?

Yes, Patyka is all Organic. I also use a lot of products from Korres (www.korres.com) - a really great organic line from Greece, particularly their Materia Herba cleanser and Wild Rose Cream. I also opt for organic products at the supermarket.

How many clothes do you buy per month ? 

It’s pretty sporadic. I love to shop but I’m no longer a frivolous shopper, so I only buy things when I really love them and feel like they can fill a void in my wardrobe.



How many cosmetics do you buy per month ?

I’d say in general I buy under 10 cosmetics (including moisturizers, soap and toner) per month. That number can increase dramatically when I find myself with a lot of time to kill in duty free shops.

Where have you spend your last vacations ?

The last real “vacation” was a long time ago and in Thailand (www.nangyuan.com/)

 I travel a lot for work and on days off I like to stay at a spa (www.villakennedy.com)

 or visit a garden – it can feel like a mini vacation.  

I try to do the same when I’m in New York as well. I like to have “vacation days” in NY to take a break and visit a museum, stroll in my favorite neighborhoods, or visit my favorite places. (www.sibg.org/cg.html)

 What is your dream vacation spot ?

I’ve been dying to visit South America and I’ve also been fantasizing about visiting the rural mountains of Romania.

 Who is your favorite living fashion icon ?

- Kembra Pfahler



 Who is the worst fashion icon ?

 I think anybody who is insincere in the way that they dress.

What fashion designers will you never buy ? and why ?

I’ve learned never to say never when it comes to buying clothing. 

I know that I have definitely bought and worn designers and styles of clothing that at some point in my life I swore I would never wear.

Would you like to become famous ?

No, accolades are nice but the thought of always having people watching with a scrutinizing eye doesn’t seem fun to me. It seems like an unreasonable responsibility.

 

                                                          Inside her bag:



Givenchy Nightingale Bag with: 

House and Office keys, Hair Comb, Hair Brush, Chewing Gum, 

Moss Lipow Sunglasses, 

Book (at the moment Là Bas by J.-K Huysmans), 

Notebook/Journal, iPhone, Sigma DP1 Camera, 

Kiehl’s Lip Balm #1, Vitamin Pack, Snack Bar from my Nutritionist, 

Makeup Kit (including pressed powder, brush, Nars Blush in Orgasm, YSL Touch Eclat)


 In her bathroom:




Her Closet in N.Y:



Her bedside table:




An item you cherish?
A set of Harrison Fisher prints that hung next to my mother’s bed which I grew up day dreaming at. My great grandmother had given them to my grandmother at the beginning of the century which she gave to my mother and now belong to me.